The Book of Questions, by Gregory Stock, PHD
1. For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again?
Oh, maybe. Depends on which country, I guess. Job prospects. Other commitments. Lingual barriers.
2. Do you believe in ghosts and evil spirits? Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted?
No, but I probably wouldn't. I'm rational in the daylight, sure.
3. If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterward would remember nothing of the experience, would you do so?
I would. Nothing's real once it's over, anyway.
4. If a new medicine was developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?
5. You discover your wonderful 1 yr old child is, because of a mixup at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the mistake?
What do the child's biological parents want? I'd keep him or her, if they were fine with it.
6. Do you think the world will be a better or a worse place 100 years from now?
Oh- better if there's a communist revolution, but probably worse.
7. Would you rather be a member of a world championship team or be the champion of an individual sport? What sport would you choose?
Team. I can't play sports, but maybe the team would hide my inability. In most team sports, if you run around enough, no-one can tell you have no idea what you are doing.
8. Would you accept $1 million to leave the country and never set foot in it again?
9. Which sex do you think has it easier in our culture? Have you ever wishes you were of the opposite sex?
Men do. Obviously.
10. You are given the power to kill people simply by thinking of their deaths and twice repeating the word “goodbye.” People would die a natural death and no one would suspect you. are there any situations in which you would use this power?
Yeah. Political assasinations, etc. I'd always sleep on it, though.
11. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the body or the mind of a 30 yr old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
The mind, I guess.
12. What would constitute a “perfect” evening for you?
Truly amazing food (I'm thinking maybe pork belly) with some friends somewhere pretty.
13. Would you rather be extremely successful professionally & have a tolerable yet unexciting private life, or have an extremely happy private life and only a tolerable and uninspiring professional life?
The latter. At least then, I'd be normal :P. M
14. Whom do you admire most? In what way does that person inspire you?
It's hard to say. Possibly it's Jonathan Safran Foer, just for the writing; possibly, it's my History teacher, for the intelligence; possibly, it's a kind of blob-person made up of various traits of my friends. More likely, it's someone fictional. It's Book-Alex, it's Snowman, it's Shadow, it's Jason Dean. All of whom are male, not all of whom are noble.
15. If at birth you could select the profession your child would eventually pursue, would you do so?
16. Would you be willing to become extremely ugly physically if it meant you would live for 1,000 years at any physical age you chose?
No, I wouldn't.
17. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality, what would it be?
Perhaps a kind of confidence that isn't to do with body or inter-personal relationships, but with just saying things, just telling people what you want to tell them (by which I do not, as it might seem, mean "I love you," except for how much everything anyone says means "I love you." I honestly believe that's all strangers ever say to each other.) Perhaps being able to run, perhaps just persistence, since that means you can gain most skills.
18. You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable- the stuff of dreams. Sadly, you know that in 6 months the person will die. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love?
Yes, more than anything.
19. What if you knew your lover would not die, but instead would betray you?
Yes, of course. More so! Christ, that's a tiny price to pay.
20. If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount to your family?
Of course I would.
21. Do you prefer being around men or women? Do your closest friends tend to be men or women?
Women, I guess, although it's a very subtle and slight difference that I barely even notice.
22. If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt anyone you chose, would you?
No. Not after a good night's sleep and a good meal, anyway.
23. While on a trip to another city, your spouse (or lover) meets and spends the night with an exciting stranger. Given that they will never meet again, and that you will not otherwise learn of the incident, would you want your partner to tell you about it?
I would, certainly.
24. If the roles were reversed, would you reveal what you had done?
Yes, because otherwise I would become preoccupied with it.
25. Are there people you envy enough to want to trade lives with them?
There are. Most of them aren't real, however.
26. For an all expense paid 1 week vacation anywhere in the world, would you be willing to kill a beautiful butterfly by pulling off its wings?
Sure, why not,
27. What about stepping on a cockroach?
28. Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would end hunger in the world?
I would. Innocence has nothing to do with it.
29. If God appeared to you in a series of vivid and moving dreams and told you to leave everything behind, travel alone to the Red Sea and become a fisherman, what would you do?
30. What if you were told to sacrifice your child?
Go and see a therapist.
31. What is your most treasured memory?#
I can't say I really have one.
32. Have you ever hated anyone? If so, why and for how long?
Yes, for trivial reasons, and rarely longer, really, than for forty-eight hours. Mostly, for less than three.
33. Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use or $100,000 to give anonymously to strangers?
The former, because I am poor and selfish, and also because we have to overthrow the system etc. to make a real difference.
34. If you knew there would be nuclear war in 1 week, what would you do?
Freak out, read some post-apocalyptic fiction for tips, eat.
35. Would you accept 20 years of extraordinary happiness and fulfillment if it meant you would die at the end of the period?
Yup. Live fast, die young, and all that.
36. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
I sincerely hope it hasn't happened yet.
37. Is there anything you hope to do that is even better?
38. Would you give up half of what you now own for a pill that would permanently change you so that 1 hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?
God, no. I'd give half my stuff to not have to take it.
39. If you knew you could devote yourself to any single occupation- music, writing, acting, business, politics, medicine, etc- and be among the best and most successful in the world at it, what would you choose?
Writing. Just- because. Maybe a chef, these days.
40. If you knew you had only a 10% chance of being so successful would you still put in the effort?
I'd want to, but I'd end up reading Questionable Content throughout again..
41. If you went to a dinner party and were offered a dish you had never tried, would you want to taste it even if it sounded strange and not very appealing?
Yup. And enjoy the experience. And ask for the recipe, knowing me.
42. Do your close friends tend to be older or younger than you?
Older. They tend to be quite a lot older, really. Sometimes, this is annoyong. But the reverse would be much worse.
43. If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a parapelegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?
Go through with it, I guess.
44. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire; after saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any 1 item. What would it be?
My paper-diary, which is less of a diary and more of a place to write stupid little things about books and people that I'm too embarassed to post here.
45. How would you react if you were to learn that your mate had had a lover of the same sex before you knew each other?
I'd say "okay."